Friday, January 1, 2010

Freezer Cooking

OK I have wanted to try this for a very long time and I've just been afraid to actually do it. 

But tomorrow, Mom and I are going to cook meals to put in our freezer for January.  Our January is incredibly busy with church activities so we're hoping that having meals already prepared will help up to avoid that last minute run to Wendy's.  We also decided to try and make our meals out of what we had already stocked in our pantry.  Here's what we have planned

  • Lasagna(times 2 each)
  • Baked Spaghetti(times 2 each)
  • Chili(times 2 each)
  • Mexican Chicken Soup(times 2 each)(this is the best soup in the world, if you haven't tried you should)
  • Chicken(or Turkey) Pot Pie(times 2 each)
  • Do something with some apples I have left over from Christmas treat bags(I have no idea what we're gonna do with them.  Any ideas for the apples?)
  • Brown and season hamburger meat to have on hand for even more spaghetti(Chad's fave so we eat it a lot) and sloppy joe.
We're thinking this will take us all day because all of this seems to be stuff that takes a little while to cook. 

After nap time today Clayton and I are going to 3 different grocery stores to get the things we need to round out our meals.  I'm really excited to see how this turns out.  We have a plan and a purpose.  Hopefully we can achieve our goals of making 10 plus healthy meals for each house.  We'll be counting calories and carbohydrates for each meal and labeling accordingly before we freeze them. 

I'll do my best to take pics and let ya'll know how this turns out.

And on a side note it's less than a week until the Alabama / Texas BCS Championship game.  So very excited.  I'm hoping First Time Ever Alabama Heisman Winner Mark Ingram can take his team to the top.  ROLL TIDE!!

4 comments:

Beth Herring said...

Praying you have a new year full of joy and blessings!

I need to do the same thing - make and freeze meals! But I probably won't get myself organized enough to do it - ha!

Love to you this new year,
Beth

Jennifer said...

Hey girl, love the idea. I do that too, kinda except I just make an extra one as i'm cooking dinner, so that I have one for now and one for later. It beats buying frozen dinners. Also I just cook my apples and make homemade applesauce to freeze, if you dont cook them to long and leave them a little chunky you could pour some in a pie shell and have homemade apple pie, quick. Have fun cooking!!!! And have a great new year! Can't wait for the conference. ~ Jennifer

Kelly said...

I love freezer cooking! It helps so much!

We love homemade applesauce. Here is the link to the recipe I use: http://kellysrecipeblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/crockpot-applesauce.html

Have fun!!

Kathy said...

I'm so excited for Thursday that I can hardly stand it!! We got a few new Bama shirts for Christmas but we're waiting to go out after the game and get Nat'l Champions shirts!! Roll Tide!